Restylane is a hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal filler used to treat various signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines, volume loss, and sagging skin. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that occurs naturally in the body and helps to keep the skin hydrated and plump. Restylane fillers are injected into the skin to enhance facial contours and create a younger look in patients of all ages. Treat a wide range of areas, including the cheeks, lips, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and under-eye circles. The significance of soft-tissue volume loss as a key contributor to facial aging has sparked a renewed interest in dependable methods of soft-tissue augmentation. In fact, over the past five years, the use of minimally invasive procedures that involve HA fillers has increased dramatically, with the number of procedures worldwide rising from 1.6 million to 2.8 million. 
Dr. Quita Lopez, a cosmetic surgeon, specializes in addressing her patients’ skin care and aging concerns. She cares deeply about establishing a strong relationship with her patients and takes the time to understand their unique aesthetic goals and desires. Dr. Lopez is trained and experienced in using Restylane to achieve natural-looking results that enhance her patients’ natural beauty. To find out what makes Restylane so popular and what it can do for you, call (503) 353-0888 or fill out this form to reach our scheduling coordinator.
Ready for more? Dr. Lopez’s blog offers insight into the treatments and advanced technology that will keep you looking refreshed and youthful!
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 More About Restylane
- 3 What are the Benefits of Restylane?
- 4 Candidates for Restylane
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparing For Restylane Injections
- 7 The Procedure
- 8 Recovery After Restylane Injections
- 9 What are the Results of Restylane?
- 10 What is the Cost of Restylane in Portland, OR?
- 11 References
Before and After Photos
More About Restylane
Doctors have been searching for a safe, reliable, and long-lasting way to add volume to soft tissues in the face for a long time. In the past, they would use materials that were easy to get and use, like paraffin wax or petroleum, but these caused problems like lumps under the skin. 
Patients today want a natural, safe material to youthfully contour & plump the face leading to the development of hyaluronic acid derivatives like Restylane.
- Fill in lines and wrinkles
- Add volume to sunken areas
- Contour facial features
- Create a more balanced and symmetrical appearance
- Fill in scars
Restylane is a great choice for anyone looking to achieve a more youthful and refreshed appearance without the risks and expense of surgery. It is a safe, effective, and minimally invasive option to help you look and feel your best.
Which Formulation is Right For You?
Several formulations of Restylane are available, each with unique characteristics and properties that make it suitable for different face areas:
- Restylane can help by restoring lost volume and plumpness to your skin, smoothing out moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as the lines that run from your nose to the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds). In addition, Restylane can also be used for lip augmentation in patients over 21 years old.
- Restylane Kysse is a lip filler that uses XpresHAn Technology to provide natural-looking volume and flexible movement for up to a year. Improve the texture and color of your lips while maintaining a full range of expressions.
- Another formulation of Restylane that uses XpresHAn Technology is Restylane Refyne. It is designed to soften laugh lines like nasolabial folds and marionette lines. It can help you achieve a more natural appearance while still allowing you to make your usual facial expressions.
- Rounding out the advanced XpresHAn Technology trio is Restylane Defyne. Target deep laugh lines and chin projection for a more youthful and natural appearance.
- Restylane Silk is designed to help you achieve your desired lips. It is the first product approved by the FDA for lip augmentation and smoothing wrinkles around the mouth in patients 21 years and older.
- Restylane Lyft can add natural-looking volume to your cheeks and hands, making them appear smoother and fuller. The treatment can be given for both your hands and face during the same appointment, giving you a more youthful look.
- Restylane Contour is specifically created to enhance the natural appearance of cheeks and restore their definition.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a substance that is found naturally in many organisms and tissues, like skin, bones, and cartilage. It helps with things like cushioning and lubrication of the joints. It’s also found in the skin. But, as people age, the amount of hyaluronic acid in their skin decreases, which can cause the skin to look more wrinkled.
The hyaluronic acid in Restylane is crosslinked into long, repeated chains. These chains are hydrated and coiled, giving the HA filler elasticity and viscosity. Hyaluronic acid works by binding to water molecules, leading to increased skin hydration.
Hyaluronic acid that does not originate in the patient’s body is eliminated after it is broken down in the liver into carbon dioxide and water.  This happens quickly, after only a few days, so manufacturers have had to modify Restylane’s properties to create long-lasting results. Patients return again and again to the Restylane family of fillers because, to put it simply, they have it all!
What are the Benefits of Restylane?
Patients who want to look younger often weigh their options regarding cosmetic treatments and procedures. Restylane does not carry the risks or downtime associated with surgical procedures like facelifts or implants, which makes it an appealing choice for many patients.
Using permanent or “more permanent” fillers can change your face’s shape in a way that might not look good as you age. Restylane, the hyaluronic acid derivative for soft-tissue augmentation, has provided a safer, longer-lasting, temporary alternative.  Plus, it can be easily adjusted or reversed if the patient is unsatisfied with the results, which cannot be said for a more permanent or invasive procedure.
- Restylane enhances and restores facial features while maintaining a natural appearance and movement.
- It can be used on the hands and face for comprehensive coverage without downtime.
- Resume your normal activities shortly after treatment and see immediate results!
- Restylane results can last up to a year, depending on the formulation and patient specifics.
One of the biggest advantages of Restylane is that it can be tailored to the individual patient’s needs treating multiple areas in one visit.
Candidates for Restylane
Younger and middle-aged individuals with mild to moderate facial aging and who prefer minimal recovery time are especially drawn to HA soft-tissue fillers. Patients should also:
- Be in good overall health
- Have realistic expectations
- Have not had recent surgery or dental work
- Are not pregnant or breastfeeding
The ideal candidate for Restylane may vary depending on the specific treatment goals and the individual’s unique circumstances. It’s always best to consult with a qualified cosmetic surgeon to determine if Restylane is right for you.
During the consultation, Dr. Lopez will review the patient’s medical history, including any allergies or medical conditions. She will ask the patient about their cosmetic concerns and goals for the treatment. Based on this information, Dr. Lopez will recommend a treatment plan, including the type and amount of Restylane to be used and the number of treatment sessions that may be needed.
Ready to take your look to the next level of plumped, youthful rejuvenation? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Lopez in Lake Oswego, OR. Call (503) 353-0888 or complete our online form to start the process.
Preparing For Restylane Injections
Some medications and supplements, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and blood thinners, can increase the risk of bleeding and bruising. It’s important to avoid these for a while before the injection, as advised by Dr. Lopez. Patients should stay hydrated and avoid things like caffeine and alcohol that can dry the skin. Patients must also practice good skin care habits before (and after!) the procedure, protecting their skin from sun exposure and avoiding harsh chemicals and skin care products.
For a complete list of preparatory steps, schedule your consultation!
The Restylane procedure is quick and easy and can be completed during a lunchtime visit to our office. Before the injection, Dr. Lopez will clean the treatment area and may apply numbing cream to minimize any discomfort during the procedure. The Restylane injection is relatively quick, taking only a few minutes to complete. The injections are placed strategically, considering the desired results and the patient’s facial anatomy.
Recovery After Restylane Injections
After the injection, you may experience swelling, bruising, and tenderness in the treatment area. It’s important to follow the aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Lopez to ensure the best possible results from the treatment. Patients should
- Avoid touching or rubbing the treatment area
- Avoid sun exposure and extreme temperatures for a few days after the injection
- Avoid strenuous exercise
- Discontinue certain medications or supplements as advised by Dr. Lopez
What are the Results of Restylane?
Patients may begin to see the results of the Restylane injection immediately, although the full effects may take a few days to become noticeable. The results typically last six to twelve months, after which additional treatments may be needed to maintain the desired results.
Patients will love seeing:
- Fewer lines and wrinkles
- Plumped lips
- Erased lines around the mouth
- Youthful hands
- Contoured chin & cheeks
- Improved skin texture
- Enhanced facial volume
By working with a qualified healthcare professional like Dr. Lopez and following the aftercare instructions, patients can achieve natural-looking results that help them look and feel their best.
What is the Cost of Restylane in Portland, OR?
The cost of your procedure will be part of the discussion during the consultation appointment. We believe beauty and cosmetic care should be accessible to all, so we offer financing options for those interested.
Find out more and schedule your consultation today! Call (503) 353-0888 to reach our office so we can assist in making an appointment.
- Swift A, von Grote E, Jonas B, Nogueira A. Minimal recovery time needed to return to social engagement following nasolabial fold correction with hyaluronic acid fillers produced with XpresHAn technology. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2017;10:229-238. https://doi.org/10.2147/CCID.S138155
- Sclafani AP, Romo T, M.D. I. Injectable Fillers for Facial Soft Tissue Enhancement. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2000;Volume 16(Number 1):29-34. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2000-7323
- DeVore DP, Hughes E, Scott JB. Effectiveness of injectable filler materials for smoothing wrinkle lines and depressed scars. Medical Progress Through Technology. 1994;20(3-4):243-250. Accessed February 24, 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7877569/
- Rohrich, Rod J. M.D.; Ghavami, Ashkan M.D.; Crosby, Melissa A. M.D.. The Role of Hyaluronic Acid Fillers (Restylane) in Facial Cosmetic Surgery: Review and Technical Considerations. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 120(6S):p 41S-54S, November 2007. | DOI: 10.1097/01.prs.0000248794.63898.0f